Making treasure out of trash– SC student wins at Junk Sculpture contest

On Thursday Nov 30th, Ms. Katz and 4 talented sculptors headed to Baltimore to compete in the 16th annual “Rethink Recycling” Sculpture Contest. The yearly competition is held by the Maryland Department of the Environment. The contest gives students the chance to be inventive and create a sculpture made from recyclable or reused materials. Every high school in Maryland is invited to compete. This year showcased 61 entries from 21 high schools. Some students traveled over 3 hours to share their upcycled sculptures.
Judges select an overall winning sculpture, along with individual recognition awards for creativity, workmanship and use of materials. Additionally, a “People’s Choice Award” is given. Prizes provided from corporate and non-profit organization sponsors were awarded to all contest entrants.

After the show, the Chronicles caught up with Ms. Katz to learn more about the South Carroll contribution to the show. Ms. Katz explained that the pieces are very individual. Each sculpture takes 2 to 3 weeks to create and students have free reign to pick the subject matter that interests them. Taylor Alexander’s favorite animal is the panda. Menja’s was a commentary on American food. She is a foreign exchange student and can’t believe how processed American food is. Taylor Houck likes the car and felt the maps made sense since it is the vehicle that allows us to travel. Katrina is a huge horse lover. After the judges examine the works, the students are interviewed by the judges so in addition to their obvious artistic skills also must be able to clearly convey their thoughts and describe the artistic process.
Taylor Alexander, the winner of first place in workmanship, won $225 in gift cards from Best Buy and 2 passes to the Baltimore Aquarium. Ms. Katz shared “It was the 13th year that we participated, we have won 10 of those years and 2 of them won in 2 categories. I am very proud of them.”
Liberty and Century also attended the show, Century taking the “best in show” award as the overall winner of the contest.

Taylor Alexander, who took first place in the workmanship category, for her sculpture of Ryu the Panda.

Menja Herbers, an exchange student visiting from France, created a spaghetti sculpture as a commentary on processed and gluttonous American meals.

Taylor Houcks created a VW Beetle with old maps.

Katrina Kottra was inspired by her love of horses to create her piece.