Garrett Zanin wins Holiday Card Competition

Carroll County Times

Carroll County Times

Corinne Kearney, Editor in Chief

South Carroll senior, Garrett Zanin has a passion for art. He takes art classes at Carroll Community College when he isn’t at the high school.

Sledding with my family are some of the best memories I have, so I wanted to depict something of that sort.”

— Garrett Zanin

This year, Garrett won the second annual Christmas card competition with his snowy holiday scene. The 1st place winner wins $150 and the honor of having their design be sent out as the college’s Christmas card. The win was a pleasant surprise to Zanin, as he did not expect to win.

Garrett had to work around the parameters of the competition. The card was required to remain religiously neutral and pertain to celebrating holidays. When thinking of holiday activities that didn’t involve Christmas practices, his mind went to playing in the snow and sledding. That is the main idea of the card.

In the future, Garrett would like to attend art school. Currently, he is looking at Maryland Institute College of Art, University of the Arts, Montserrat College of Art and Design, Rhode Island School of Design, and Laguna College of Art. In total he has applied to nine schools! Art has always been a big part of his life, but he considered it a career in 8-9th grade. Illustration is the career path he would like to pursue because it fits well for him.

Garrett shares his artwork on social media, specifically Instagram. Here are some of his other doodles:

For more information on Zanin, visit: http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/education/cc-carroll-community-college-holiday-card-20171212-story.html