• October 11Congratulations to the boys Varsity soccer team, beating Westminster last night 2-0. A great team effort.

• October 11The school store will be open during all lunch mods today, Wednesday and Thursday.

• October 11There is a new club for those who wish to flex their creative muscles. Art Club will meet after school on the first Monday of each month. Email or see Ms. Katz

6 Tips on Studying for the PSATs

Amanda Swank, Editor-in-Chief

On October 10th, South Carroll students will be taking the PSAT/NMSQT, or the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. We all know how stressful and difficult studying for exams can be, so here are a couple of tips to help you study for the PSAT’s.

1. Give yourself enough time to study:

Studying the night before any exam doesn’t help. Although some students thrive on last-minute cramming, most don’t.

2. Organize your study space:

If you have a messy study space, you’re bound to get distracted. Make sure to have enough space for all your materials and books (if you have any).

Getty Images/PhotoAlto

3. Explain your study topics to others:

It is easier to remember concepts and other important information by repeating and explaining it to someone else. Find someone, it could be a friend or a sibling, and teach it to them.

4. Don’t study on an empty stomach:

Being hungry can distract your from your tasks. Eat some food, like yogurt, berries, and nuts to help boost your brain.

5. Study when sleepy:

This tip may sound crazy, but scientists have found that during sleep, the brain strengthens new memories, so studying before bed will help increase your memory.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

6. Take regular breaks

Contrary to popular belief, studying for hours at a time is counterproductive. Studies have shown for long-term knowledge, taking breaks while studying make it easier to remember the material.