5 Scary Movies to Watch for Halloween

Sophia Acuna, Author

Halloween is just a week away, and what better way to prepare for the spooky holiday than by watching some scary movies? Here are five scary movies to celebrate Halloween.

5: Psycho

Image result for psycho

Even after more than fifty years, Alfred Hitchcock’s classic 1960 film remains a staple of the horror movie genre. The film centers around the Bates Motel and its owner, Norman Bates. One night, a young woman named Marion Crane stops by the motel, and Norman tells her how his mother is mentally ill–but there’s a bit more to the story. Without spoiling anything, the movie’s shocking plot twist continues to amaze audiences, even today.

4: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Image result for a nightmare on elm street 1984

A Nightmare on Elm Street gives us Freddy Krueger, one of horror’s most iconic villains. Freddy has the horrifying ability of killing his victims in their dreams, thus killing them in real life. The film follows Nancy Thompson as she attempts to escape Freddy and lure him out from the dream world and into the real world so that she can put an end to Freddy once and for all.

3: Carrie

Image result for carrie 1976

Carrie White is a shy high school student who is endlessly bullied and picked on by her peers at school. At home, she is forced to live with her abusive and controlling mother, who shelters Carrie from the rest of the world. Carrie eventually realizes that she has the power of telekinesis–meaning that she can move objects at will with her mind. After Carrie’s prom night goes horribly wrong, she uses her newly discovered powers to take revenge on those who hurt her.

2: Scream

Related image

Scream follows Sidney Prescott, a high school student made the target of the mysterious killer known as Ghostface. The film combines dark comedy and mystery with the slasher film genre to create a satire of many of the cliches you see in other horror films. Unlike other horror movies, the characters seem to be well-aware of these cliches, and even openly talk about real-world horror films (like Psycho or The Silence of the Lambs). Scream is a refreshing change in the horror genre that will have you on the edge of your seat.

1: It

Image result for it 2017

It centers around a group of seven kids aiming to find and stop Pennywise, a horrifying clown that feeds off of fear and takes the form of its victim’s deepest fear. Bill, the leader of the group, lost his little brother Georgie to Pennywise a year ago and is determined to kill Pennywise and reunite with Georgie. Each member of the group is forced to face and overcome their greatest fears as they battle to put an end to Pennywise. It’s use of having actual fear as the villian of the movie and creating characters you can see yourself in will put chills down your spine and keep you up at night.