Diversity Committee’s Food & Culture Day

Jasmine Adetunji, Author

On November 20th, the Diversity Committee will be hosting a Food and Culture Day. During Mod 2, students will learn about the different nations represented by their peers. Not only will they get to try different foods, they will also learn about the stories behind each dish, whether it be general or specific to the student.

There are many different nations being represented by both students and staff here at South Carroll. Here is what a few have to say about this event.

Karine Ngong

(1) What nation(s) are you representing?

Cameroon

(2) What kind(s) of food are you bringing?

Puff Puffs.

(3) What made you want to participate in this event?

I want to help our school become more exposed to different cultures.

Mikalyn Hernandez

Peru and Sweden

Papa a la Huancaina, Inka Cola, and Swedish Cookies

I like trying new foods and learning about different cultures. I thought it would be cool some of my culture with the school.

Ms. Fritts

Ghana

Ghanaian Spinach Stew and Rice

I worked in Ghanaian villages that cooked for a disability center. I also thought it would be an excellent way for students to get a deeper understanding of different cultures and think the school should become more educated in them.

Jasmine Adetunji

Nigeria

Fried Plantain

I am very proud of my Nigerian culture and want to expose people to it.

Amanda McDermott and Kiera Cherney are both in Diversity Committee and are very excited to try all of the foods from the different cultures.

Amanda McDermott

Amanda loves to learn about different cultures and is excited to open her mind to trying new foods. She is most excited to try the West African foods that Karine and Jasmine are bringing. Amanda loves diversity committee and want to contribute to it as much as possible

Kiera Cherney

Kiera thought that the Food and Culture Day sounded like fun and is excited to experience new things and new foods and meet new people of different cultures. Kiera is most excited to try the Latin/Central American foods. Kiera enjoyed the assembly that the Diversity Committee put on last year and wanted to be a part of their movement.

If you would like to participate in the Food and Culture Day on November 20th, make sure you go to the counseling center and sign up before November 14th!