Student Pages Selected for State Legislature

Amanda Swank, Editor-in-Chief

Each year the Maryland State Legislature invites high school students throughout the state to serve as pages on the floor of the House of Delegates and Senate. Carroll County is eligible to select four representatives and one alternate. Seniors from all seven public high schools and non-public high schools in Carroll County were eligible to apply for the honor of serving as a student page.

This year two of the students representing Carroll County are Narayan Spaur and Andrew Zirkle. “I was stoked to hear that I was selected for such a unique opportunity,” Spaur said, “I hope to learn more about the legislative process by seeing (it) firsthand.”

“I’m incredibly excited because it’s a limited opportunity and a  very selective program,” states Zirkle, “I’m surprised that both Narayan and I got selected because they don’t pick more than one student from each school.” When asked about what he wishes to accomplish in the program, Zirkle responds, “I don’t think I’ll be doing more than fetching coffee for the legislators, but it’ll be a good learning experience.”

The program enables high school seniors, selected by a local committee, to work as legislative pages for two non-consecutive weeks during the regular session of the legislature. It is designed to interest youth in state government, particularly in the proceedings of the Maryland legislature. Also, the page program is expected to increase participation in government and foster leadership among youth, as well as to provide students with worthwhile experiences in state government. During their assignment, the pages selected for 2019 will maintain the bill books of individual delegates and senators, run errands, distribute literature, and provide general assistance to the legislators.