• January 23January 31st - Exams Mods 2 and 4/4A

• January 23January 30th - Mods 1/1B and 3

• January 23January 29th - Mod 1A exam

SC Stagelighters Prepares for One-Acts

Amanda Swank, Editor-in-Chief

South Carroll Stagelighters is getting ready for the annual winter One-Acts! For those who don’t know, every year Stagelighters puts on two separate acts from two different shows, directed by the students. This year’s productions include Wait Wait…I Can Explain, directed by Emma Hughes and Quinlan Stafford,and Negative Space, which is written and directed by Ashley Ingle. Let’s take a look at how the production is going so far!

Directors:

When asked about what it’s like to direct a show, Ashley Ingle replied, “It’s pretty stressful and confusing, especially since I’ve never done this before. It’s going pretty swell considering that I’m not totally sure what I’m doing. I love my actors and I am grateful for them.” She also added that the play is “arguably functional” but is confident that the actors and crew can pull it off.

Student Directors Emma Hughes and Quinlan Stafford sit down with the actors of Wait Wait…I Can Explain.

“Directing is like writing or drawing, you envision something in your head but you can’t seem to make coherent sentences or sketch a hand.” Quinlan Stafford, stated,

“For Emma and I, one moment we’re laughing with the actors about making them eat Ritz crackers and ketchup, then we’re just staring at the script unable to envision eleven people on stage at the same time. It’s daunting and overwhelming because you have to think of every little detail. I’m used to being an actor onstage, and don’t think about all the sound effects or props that go into a complete show.”

“That being said, it’s super fun! When I read a script, a show happens in my head, and seeing something I imagined slowly come to life is absolutely wonderful. We laugh a lot, actors are always brilliant and come up with things better than I could’ve imagined, and it’s nice to look at a show from a different point of view.”

Stage Management:

When asked about what she does for the One-Acts as Stage Manager, Sarah Taylor responds, “I maintain organization and communication between everyone involved and keep things running smoothly. It helps me grow as a leader and I get to work on great shows.” And when asked about how the show is going, Sarah stated, “It’s going really good! I’m excited to see it open.”

Some of the actors of Wait Wait…I Can Explain practice their lines at rehearsal.

Actors:

Gwen Lilycrop, an actor in the One-Act Negative Space spoke to me about being an actor in the show, “It’s a lot of fun! It’s great to get to work with all the people I love so closely. My favorite part is the script. Ashley’s writing is beautiful and addresses an important topic really well. It’s so incredible to get to preform a unique piece like this.”

Sound:

Co-Head of Sound along with Zach Miller, Romeo Cardenas, has been working hard. “We have to make sounds or find sounds that the director wants. We also have to make a mic plot.” replied Romeo when asked about the work so far. “We have no sound effects yet but they aren’t required so we aren’t in a hurry. The mic plot was easy since there are not too many characters in the shows.”

The Props crew.

Props:

Head of Props, Kyle Russo, has been doing very well props-wise for the shows! “We needed a lot of common household items, like a blanket and a backpack. We also had a few pretty specific things we had to make: specifically engraved river stones and a jar of pickled pigs feet.”

“We’ve finished making props for our first One-Act, Negative Space, since we’ll be preforming it at the International Thespian Society Festival this weekend. Our other show still has a few kinks to work out.”

Costumes:

When asked about the costumes for this year’s One-Acts Co-Head of Costumes, Alexa Kuykendall, responded, “The costumes for Negative Space is a more colorful interpretation of the pilgrim era. The skirt colors reflect the character’s personalities whole staying understated and functional. And for Wait, Wait, the fake family’s outfits are counteractive to the real family’s outfits. They are meant to not fit completely and look a bit more fancy. The costumes are all for the modern era and go along with the date night and family atmosphere.”

Set:

“The set for this year’s One-Acts is pretty simple,” says Amanda Swank, the leader of set painting. “It consists of one fake tree and tree stumps plus three sides of the periactoids, a three sided contraption on wheels, painted to look like the inside of a house.” Along with Andrew John and Jacob Robb, the three of them make up the leaders of set construction.

We hope you are inspired to come see the One-Acts on January 31st and February 1st&2nd! Book your tickets now at scsl.booktix.com